The IQS School of Management of the Universitat Ramon Llull is located in the center of Catalonias capital city Barcelona in Spain and has a very strong international focus.
The IQS has an excellent reputation for Management and Business Administration and is internationally accredited by AACSB. The university also supports innovative research culture and is listed in the “QS World University Ranking”.
The research focus areas are based on “Corporate Finance” and “Consumer Behaviour (Marketing)”. The official title of the doctoral program is “Business and Territorial Competitiveness, Innovation and Sustainability”.
ISM and IQS have developed a cooperation which allows ISM graduates and other graduates to apply for a PhD. The official title after completion of the program is “Programa de Doctorado en Competividad Empresarial y Territorial, Innovación y Sostenibilidad por la Universidad de Deusto; la Universidad Comillas y la Universidad Ramon Lull”. The title is officially recognized as a doctorate in Germany, i.e. graduates can currently be listed as "Dr."
The whole application process is coordinated and supervised by ISM. A preselection for the program is made by ISM, final admission will depend on IQS. The supervision will be done jointly by IQS (1st supervisor) and ISM (2nd supervisor). A maximum of 6 candidates per year is agreed. Administrative support for ISM candidates will be provided by ISM.
PhD Doctor of Philosophy
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is a degree based on a research project and lasts three years full-time (extensible to four years).
Please note: All doctoral students are required to complete a Postgraduate Certificate in Research Methodology (12 ECTS) if they are not studying in this area (research field). All PhD students must also take courses at IQS for two weeks during the first two years. Additionally each student is obliged to attend one module at the ISM (one seminar week), which is taking place in February/March at the ISM Dortmund campus and is equivalent to 20 ECTS. Participation in the one-week ISM event is also mandatory.
Students must also attend a compulsory course of Ethics in Research, and two courses per year, at least six courses during all the PhD program of 10 hours each one. These courses can be taken at any of the universities in the program and also at other universities.
- An official Undergraduate degree and a Master's in a relevant discipline (with a combined total of 300 ECTS, 60 of which at master’s level)
- Excellence in academic qualifications, i.e. minimum GPA: 2.0 (according to German grading system)
- Proof of English language proficiency: IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 600 (pbt)/ 90-95 (ibt) or above
- A Research Proposal with doctoral potential which matches IQS's and ISM's research expertise
- Supervisory capacity in the proposed research area.
- Research Proposal: Proposed area of research, types of research methods to be used, relations to any previous research done in this field (4-6 pages) - after a joint selection of topics in cooperation with the Universitat Ramon Llull.
- Academic transcripts or degree certificates
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Two letters of reference
- Application Form (issued by ISM after a consulting session)
- Evidence of financial sponsoring
- Curriculum Vitae
Your application will firstly be reviewed by ISM. If successful, an interview with an IQS member of staff will be arranged. Thereafter, the official application will be completed and sent to IQS.
Deadline for official application to IQS: at least 3 months before the preferred starting date.
You can start your PhD program anytime during the year – there are no fixed intake periods.
Fees PhD full-time
*Fees subject to change.; Incl. current Net VAT.; Exchange rate from 30th July 2022.
**There is a tuition scholarship for full-time students at IQS, and they do not pay any fee. They are asked to do some teaching assistance (20 hrs./week) during the first two years of the programme.
Counseling PhD & DBA Programs
Vice President for Research
Prof. Dr. Kai Rommel
+49 231.97 51 39-76
+49 231.97 51 39-774