The University of Strathclyde Business School (SBS), located in Glasgow/Scotland, is one of few business schools in the world to be triple accredited (AMBA, AACSB and EQUIS).
SBS consists of 9 subject departments and specialist units, with 150 academic staff and 3,000 full-time students enrolled.
Postgraduate research is focused on the following subject areas: Accounting & Finance, Economics, Entrepreneurship Human Resource Management, Management, Management Science, Marketing. SBS encourages a vibrant, innovative and supportive research culture.
Strathclyde has a reputation for research excellence. Based on the REF (Research Excellence Framework) 2014 GPA scores, the Times Higher Education ranked us first in Scotland and in the top 10 business schools in the UK for its research.
ISM and the Strathclyde Business School have developed a cooperation which allows ISM graduates and other graduates to apply for a PhD program. The degree at this time officially accepted doctorate in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
A preselection for the program is made by ISM, while the final admission will depend on Strathclyde. The supervision will be done jointly by the University of Strathclyde (1st and 2nd supervisor) and ISM (3rd supervisor).
A maximum number of 5-8 students can be accepted. Delivery of the programs shall take place according to Strathclyde’s Policy and Code of Practice for Postgraduate Research programmes. Administrative support for ISM candidates will be provided by ISM.
PhD Doctor of Philosophy
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is a research based degree with a minimum duration of three years full-time and four years part-time.
All doctoral students are required to undertake the 60 credit Postgraduate Certificate in Research Methodology (30 ECTS):
- Research Methods – offered at Strathclyde in fall/winter
- Research Philosophy – offered at Strathclyde in fall/winter
- ISM PhD Colloquium (3 Modules: Theory, Empiricism, Key Topic Work) – offered at ISM Dortmund in winter
Please note: Each module has a duration of one week and requires the completion of an assignment. The certificate is normally completed within the first year of the full-time doctorate programme or within two years part-time.
- Master's degree in a relevant discipline
- Excellence in academic qualifications, i.e. minimum GPA: 2.0 (German grading system)
- Proof of English language proficiency: IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 600 (pbt)/ 90-95 (ibt)
- A research proposal with doctoral potential which matches University of Strathclyde Business School and ISM research expertise
- Supervisory capacity in the proposed research area
- Research Proposal: Proposed area of research, types of research methods to be used, relations to any previous research done in this field (4-6 pages)
- Academic transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
- Application Form (issued by ISM after consulting session)
- Curriculum Vitae
Your application will firstly be reviewed by ISM. If successful, an interview with a Strathclyde member of staff will be arranged.
Thereafter the official application to the University of Strathclyde will be completed.
Program start is possible at all times.
Fees PhD Full-time
|Year 2:|| |
|Total program costs:||€49,123.00|
(subject to change)
Fees for PhD Part-time
Total costs: €49,123.00 (incl. €2,500.00 ISM application fee)
(subject to change)
Counseling PhD & DBA Programs
Vice President for Research
Prof. Dr. Kai Rommel
+49 231.97 51 39-76
+49 69.66 05 93 67-57